部落领袖试图阻止边境墙建设,称此举将缩减托霍诺奥哈姆族保留地面积
作者:安德斯·哈格斯特伦,福克斯新闻
马林称太平洋至墨西哥湾边境主墙将于明年完工
国土安全部部长马克韦恩·马林表示,太平洋至墨西哥湾的边境主墙将按计划于明年完工,所有合同预计将于本月底前授予。(图片来源:CSPAN)
【新增】您现在可以收听福克斯新闻的文章了!
blob:https://www.foxnews.com/ff75553b-9ad4-43a6-bb4d-e78a1c669219
收听本文
2分钟
亚利桑那州一名联邦法官为该州边境墙建设扫清了障碍,此前一个原住民部落曾试图阻止这项工程。
托霍诺奥哈姆族辩称,在其与墨西哥接壤的南部边境修建边境墙属于非法侵占部落土地,并且实际上会缩减保留地面积。
理查德·利昂法官在其裁决中指出,1907年的一项联邦公告允许为联邦用途征用保留地的前60英尺土地。
“考虑到与边境墙相关的国家安全和外交政策考量,应尊重政府的决定,”他说道。
「美国优先」移民改革法案将一劳永逸地固化特朗普的竞选承诺
2019年9月10日,亚利桑那州尤马市科罗拉多河沿岸,承包商正在修建一段边境墙,以取代原有的小型防御工事。
托霍诺奥哈姆族成员曾张贴“禁止 trespassing”(非法侵入)标识,以回应联邦工作人员前往边境场地勘察施工情况。
该保留地与墨西哥的边境线总长约62英里。
“任何与非法且具破坏性的边境墙相关的施工活动,都应被警告、告知其 trespassing 行为,并由执法人员驱离出部落土地,”该部落8月8日在其脸书主页上写道。
利昂法官援引了西奥多·罗斯福总统1907年发布的一项公告,该公告规定国际边界线60英尺范围内的所有公共土地均由联邦政府独家管控。
1903年2月10日,西奥多·罗斯福总统在华盛顿特区办公室内。(历史档案/环球图片社 via 盖蒂图片社)
该公告称此举“旨在防范美国与墨西哥共和国之间的货物走私”。
利昂进一步指出,托霍诺奥哈姆族直到1917年才被正式定为保留地,晚于罗斯福的这项公告。
联邦政府此次胜诉之际,唐纳德·特朗普政府上周刚庆祝美墨边境连续15个月实现零边境放行。
观点:多亏特朗普总统,边境已关闭。但在弗吉尼亚州,这并不重要
国土安全部部长马克韦恩·马林的办公室表示,与前总统乔·拜登政府时期相比,边境每日逮捕人数下降了94%,达到30年来的最低水平。
国土安全部部长马克韦恩·马林的办公室称,边境每日逮捕人数达到30年来的最低水平。(吉姆·洛·斯卡佐/EPA/布隆伯格/盖蒂图片社)
“本月的结果再次证明:特朗普总统的边境安全议程正在恢复秩序,将美国民众的安全放在首位,”马林在一份声明中说道。
“国土安全部将继续专注于执行我们的移民法律、加固边境,并确保非法进入我国的人员被迅速驱逐。多亏特朗普总统的强有力领导,我们拥有了历史上最安全的边境,”他补充道。
安德斯·哈格斯特伦是福克斯新闻数字频道的记者,负责报道全国政治及重大突发新闻事件。
Tribal leaders attempted to block border wall construction, arguing it would shrink Tohono O’odham Nation’s reservation
By Anders Hagstrom, Fox News
Mullin says primary border wall from Pacific to Gulf to be completed next year
DHS Secretary Markwayne Mullin said the primary border wall from the Pacific to the Gulf of America is on track for completion next year, with all contracts expected to be awarded by the end of the month. (Credit: CSPAN)
NEW You can now listen to Fox News articles!
blob:https://www.foxnews.com/ff75553b-9ad4-43a6-bb4d-e78a1c669219
Listen to this article
2 min
A federal judge in Arizona cleared the path for border wall construction in the state after a Native American tribe attempted to block its construction.
The Tohono O’odham Nation had argued that constructing the border wall along its southern border with Mexico would constitute illegal trespassing on tribal lands as well as effectively shrink the reservation.
Judge Richard Leon noted in his ruling a federal proclamation in 1907 that the first 60 feet of the reservation could be taken for federal use.
“Given the national security and foreign policy considerations related to the border wall, deference to the government is warranted,” he said.
‘AMERICA FIRST’ IMMIGRATION OVERHAUL BILL WOULD CODIFY TRUMP’S CAMPAIGN PROMISES ONCE AND FOR ALL
Contractors erect a section of border wall, replacing smaller fortifications, Sept. 10, 2019, along the Colorado River in Yuma, Arizona.
Members of the Tohono O’odham Nation had erected “no trespassing” signs in reaction to federal workers visiting the border sites to scope out construction.
The reservation’s shared border with Mexico extends roughly 62 miles.
“ANY construction related activities to the illegal and destructive border wall be warned, informed of trespass and escorted off the Nation’s land by law enforcement,” the tribe wrote on its Facebook page on Aug. 8.
Judge Leon pointed to a proclamation by President Theodore Roosevelt in 1907 stating that all public land within 60 feet of an international boundary is under the exclusive control of the federal government.
President Theodore Roosevelt in his Washington, D.C., office on Feb. 10, 1903.(History Archive/Universal Images Group via Getty Images)
The proclamation argued it was necessary “as a protection against the smuggling of goods between the United States and the Republic of Mexico.”
Leon further noted that the Tohono nation was not declared a reservation until 1917, after Roosevelt’s proclamation.
The legal win for the federal government comes after President Donald Trump’s administration celebrated 15 consecutive months of having zero border releases at the U.S.-Mexico border last week.
OPINION: THE BORDER IS CLOSED THANKS TO PRESIDENT TRUMP. IN VIRGINIA, THAT DOESN’T MATTER
Homeland Security Secretary Markwayne Mullin’s office said daily apprehensions at the border are down 94% compared to former President Joe Biden’s administration and are at the lowest level seen in 30 years.
Secretary Markwayne Mullin’s office said daily apprehensions at the border are at the lowest level seen in 30 years.(Jim Lo Scalzo/EPA/Bloomberg/Getty Image)
“Again this month, the results are clear: President Trump’s border security agenda is restoring order and putting the safety of the American people first,” Mullin said in a statement.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
“DHS remains focused on enforcing our immigration laws, securing the border, and ensuring those who enter our country illegally are removed swiftly. Thanks to the strong leadership of President Trump, we have the most secure border in history,” he added.
Anders Hagstrom is a reporter with Fox News Digital covering national politics and major breaking news events.
发表回复