2026-08-19T13:20:42.223Z / 路透社
一辆汽车驶过约翰·F·肯尼迪表演艺术中心,2026年8月13日,美国华盛顿,该中心董事会投票决定在建筑外墙上刻下“由唐纳德·J·特朗普总统修复翻新”字样。路透社/凯文·拉马克 购买授权许可,将在新标签页打开
- 摘要
- 公司
- 肯尼迪艺术中心董事会以20票对3票通过将特朗普名字加入外墙标识
- 美国众议员乔伊斯·比蒂表示将在9月8日前提请法院阻止该举措
- 法官此前曾下令移除建筑上的特朗普名字
华盛顿,8月19日(路透社)——约翰·F·肯尼迪表演艺术中心的民主党籍董事会成员表示,她将寻求法院禁令,阻止将共和党总统唐纳德·特朗普的名字新刻入该建筑外墙。此前数月,一名联邦法官曾表示,只有国会才能重新命名这座位于华盛顿的标志性场馆。
在周二晚间提交的法庭文件(将在新标签页打开)中,美国民主党众议员乔伊斯·比蒂称,董事会的行为是“公然蔑视”法官此前在该案中的裁决。
通过《每日案卷》时事通讯将最新法律新闻直接发送到您的收件箱,开启您的清晨。点击此处订阅。
该中心董事会由特朗普任命的盟友占据多数,于8月13日投票决定修改建筑外观标识内容,将建筑标识更新为“约翰·F·肯尼迪表演艺术中心 由唐纳德·J·特朗普总统修复翻新”,并将中心广场命名为“唐纳德·J·特朗普总统广场”。董事会同时投票决定将该中心关闭两年。
比蒂请求对该案启动额外程序,以寻求裁决阻止特朗普名字重新被加回建筑,若不通过法院干预,最早可于9月8日就可能完成该操作。
“在特朗普总统的名字前加上‘修复翻新’或‘捐赠’字样,以及重新命名建筑所在的场地,都没有合法依据可以无视本法院的裁决,将唐纳德·特朗普的名字强加给这座由国会专门为另一位总统设立的纪念场馆,”文件中写道。
特朗普政府的律师在联合提交的文件中表示,他们不同意比蒂的论点,并表示“记录将证明董事会的审慎决定”。
比蒂凭借其国会议员身份成为肯尼迪艺术中心董事会成员,去年董事会修改了肯尼迪艺术中心的名称,并将标识修改为将特朗普名字置于肯尼迪总统名字之前,她因此起诉了特朗普政府。
美国地区法官克里斯托弗·库珀在5月做出裁决,称董事会单方面更名场馆越权,该场馆是为纪念1963年遇刺的民主党总统肯尼迪而设立的。
库珀表示,董事会在该中心的运营事务上拥有广泛的裁量权,但无权更名场馆。“国会授予了肯尼迪艺术中心这个名字,也只有国会才能更改它,”法官裁定。
今年6月,特朗普的名字已从该建筑的白色大理石外墙上移除,此后一直有大型防水布覆盖该区域。联邦上诉法院在7月驳回了特朗普政府在上诉库珀裁决期间保留该名字的请求。
在周二提交的文件中,特朗普政府表示,覆盖外墙的防水布和脚手架是为了对屋顶悬挑部分进行水质检测和结构维修。
比蒂的律师称这一解释为“借口”,并表示防水布和脚手架意在“挫败法院命令的意图,即将该中心恢复为专门纪念肯尼迪总统的纪念场馆”。
特朗普推动翻新并重新命名肯尼迪艺术中心,是其重塑华盛顿整体举措的一部分。上周,一家上诉法院下令特朗普政府停止在该场地耗资4亿美元的宴会厅建设工程,该场地原是白宫已拆除的东翼旧址。
由迈克·斯卡塞拉报道;内特·雷蒙德补充报道;大卫·巴里奥和千住野村编辑
我们的标准:汤森路透信托原则,将在新标签页打开
Trump’s bid to inscribe name on Kennedy Center faces renewed court test
2026-08-19T13:20:42.223Z / Reuters
A car drives past the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts on the day the center’s board voted to inscribe “Restored and Renovated by President Donald J. Trump” onto the building, in Washington, D.C., U.S., August 13, 2026. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque Purchase Licensing Rights, opens new tab
- Summary
- Companies
- Kennedy Center board voted 20-3 to add Trump’s name to facade
- U.S. Representative Joyce Beatty says she will ask court to block move by September 8
- Judge had previously ordered Trump’s name removed from building
WASHINGTON, Aug 19 (Reuters) – A Democratic board member of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts said she will seek a court order blocking Republican President Donald Trump’s name from being newly inscribed on the building’s facade, months after a federal judge said only Congress could rename the iconic Washington venue.
In a
court filing, opens new tab
late on Tuesday, Democratic U.S. Representative Joyce Beatty said the board had acted in “naked defiance” of the judge’s prior decision in the case.
Jumpstart your morning with the latest legal news delivered straight to your inbox from The Daily Docket newsletter. Sign up here.
The center’s board, stocked with Trump-appointed allies, voted 20-3 on August 13 to alter the building’s signage to read “The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts Restored and Renovated by President Donald J. Trump,” while naming the center’s grounds the “President Donald J. Trump Plaza.” The board also voted to close the center for two years.
Beatty asked for additional proceedings in the case in order to seek a ruling halting the return of Trump’s name to the building, which absent court intervention could happen as early as September 8.
“Adding the words ‘Restored and Renovated by,’ or ‘Endowed by,’ before President Trump’s name, and renaming the ground on which the building sits, provides no lawful basis to ignore this Court’s decision and impose Donald Trump’s name on a memorial dedicated by the Congress exclusively to a different President,” the filing said.
Lawyers for the Trump administration said in the joint filing that they disagreed with Beatty’s arguments and that “the record will demonstrate the Board’s prudence.”
Beatty, a member of the Kennedy Center’s board by virtue of her position in Congress, sued the Trump administration last year after the board changed the Kennedy Center’s name and altered its signage to place Trump’s name before that of President Kennedy.
U.S. District Judge Christopher Cooper ruled in May that the board overstepped its authority by unilaterally renaming the site, which was created as a memorial to Kennedy after the Democratic president’s 1963 assassination.
Cooper said the board had wide discretion to make operational decisions about the center but could not rename it. “Congress gave the Kennedy Center its name, and only Congress can change it,” the judge ruled.
Trump’s name was removed from the building’s white marble facade in June, with a large tarp draped over the wall since then. A federal appeals court in July denied the administration’s bid to keep the name up while it appeals Cooper’s ruling.
In Tuesday’s filing, the Trump administration said the tarp and scaffolding were erected for water testing and structural repairs to a roof overhang.
Beatty’s lawyers called that explanation a “pretextual justification,” arguing the tarp and scaffolding are meant to “frustrate the intent of the Court’s order that the Center be returned to a memorial exclusively honoring President Kennedy.”
Trump’s push to renovate and rename the Kennedy Center is part of the president’s broader efforts to reshape Washington. Last week, an appeals court ordered the administration to stop construction on a $400 million ballroom Trump plans at the site of the White House’s demolished East Wing.
Reporting by Mike Scarcella; additional reporting by Nate Raymond; Editing by David Bario and Chizu Nomiyama
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles., opens new tab
发表回复