美国最高法院暂时允许特朗普继续推进白宫宴会厅工程


2026-08-21T18:14:21.155Z / reuters.com

image

  • 内容摘要
  • 下级法院裁定国会必须批准宴会厅项目
  • 特朗普在为项目辩护时强调国家安全重要性
  • 历史保护组织提起诉讼质疑宴会厅工程
  • 特朗普为修建宴会厅拆除了白宫东翼

华盛顿8月21日路透电 — 美国最高法院周五暂时允许唐纳德·特朗普总统政府继续推进其白宫宴会厅工程,暂停了一项将叫停大部分施工的司法禁令。

法院此次行动即所谓的“行政暂停令”,为大法官们留出更多时间,考虑政府提出的在历史保护组织提起的阻止工程诉讼进行期间,继续推进这项耗资4亿美元宴会厅工程的正式请求。

路透社每日简报通讯为您提供开启一天所需的全部新闻。点击此处订阅。

此次暂停令由负责处理华盛顿特区紧急案件的首席大法官约翰·罗伯茨签署。

在8月14日提交给最高法院的文件中,司法部律师呼应了特朗普的观点,称该项目是安全必要之举,并援引针对总统的暗杀企图和近期其他威胁作为依据。

“本案涉及一项非同寻常且非法的禁令,它将叫停白宫东翼综合军事设施的在建工程,其中包括完全安全的宴会厅空间,而这是国家安全至关重要的需求,”他们写道。

这家非营利组织美国历史保护信托基金去年在政府拆除白宫东翼并开始建造9万平方英尺(约合8360平方米)的宴会厅后提起诉讼,当时政府未寻求国会的明确批准。特朗普曾表示,这座宴会厅将成为“有史以来最棒的同类建筑”。

最高法院周五采取行动后,美国历史保护信托基金的一位发言人表示:“需要明确的是,这并非对政府暂停申请实质内容的最终裁决,我们正等待进一步的行动。”

该项目将地上宴会厅与大型地下综合体相结合。特朗普表示,该项目包括防空洞、医疗设施、无人机和导弹防护装置以及其他安全设施,“全部整合为一个庞大、昂贵且极为复杂的整体”。

8月7日,美国哥伦比亚特区巡回上诉法院以2比1的裁决维持了美国地区法官理查德·里昂的命令,要求政府停止地上施工。该命令原定于周五生效。

“临时住户而非所有者”

“每位总统都是白宫的临时住户,而非所有者,”哥伦比亚特区巡回上诉法院的裁决写道,“未经国会批准,不得从根本上重塑白宫。”

地区法官的命令并未永久禁止建造宴会厅。它叫停了地上施工,但允许地下施工继续进行,以及被认定为“严格必要”的白宫安全保障工作。在裁决中,哥伦比亚特区巡回上诉法院表示,国家安全论点“并非自动获得的免罚金牌”。

司法部在8月14日的文件中表示,整个东翼工程——包括地下设施和地上宴会厅——已完成65%。

特朗普曾表示,宴会厅项目是安全必要之举,并在Truth Social的帖子中将该建筑称为“军事中心”。特朗普称哥伦比亚特区巡回上诉法院的裁决“骇人听闻”且带有政治动机,并表示这让他、其他白宫官员和访客面临遇袭风险。

“这项不公正的裁决必须被最高法院完全推翻,”特朗普写道。

美国历史保护信托基金在法庭文件中敦促大法官们驳回政府在诉讼进行期间继续推进宴会厅建设的请求。

“每一个审查过该问题的法院都一致认为(特朗普政府)没有单方面的法律权力——无论是宪法、成文法还是其他方面——在已拆除的东翼场地建造大型宴会厅,”该组织的律师写道。

“并且每一家法院都明确告知他们,必须停止非法施工,除非且直到他们获得国会的明确批准,”文件写道。

该项目是特朗普重塑华盛顿景观的整体计划的一部分,其中包括建造一座250英尺(约合76米)高的拱门以及翻新肯尼迪中心——这一文化地标和表演艺术中心。

被拆除的东翼曾是第一夫人办公室和白宫电影院的所在地。该建筑最初建于1902年西奥多·罗斯福总统任期内,并于1942年富兰克林·罗斯福总统任期内大幅扩建。

约翰·克鲁泽尔报道;威尔·邓纳姆与丽莎·舒梅克编辑

Supreme Court lets Trump continue work on White House ballroom for now

2026-08-21T18:14:21.155Z / reuters.com

The demolition of the East Wing of the White House during construction of U.S. President Donald Trump’s proposed ballroom is seen from the reopened Washington Monument, following the longest shutdown of the government in Washington, D.C., U.S., November 15, 2025. REUTERS/ Jessica Koscielniak/File… Purchase Licensing Rights, opens new tabRead more

  • Summary
  • Lower court said Congress must approve ballroom project
  • Trump emphasizes national security in defending project
  • Historic preservation group sued to challenge ballroom
  • Trump demolished White House East Wing for the ballroom

WASHINGTON, Aug 21 (Reuters) – The U.S. Supreme Court on Friday allowed President Donald Trump’s administration to continue construction of ​his White House ballroom project for now, temporarily pausing a judicial order that would halt much of the development.

The court’s action, known as ‌an administrative stay, gives the justices additional time to consider the administration’s formal request to let it continue working on the $400 million ballroom while a lawsuit by a historic preservation group seeking to stop the project proceeds.

The Reuters Daily Briefing newsletter provides all the news you need to start your day. Sign up here.

The stay was issued by Chief Justice John Roberts, who handles emergency cases arising in Washington, D.C.

In an August 14 filing to the Supreme Court, Justice Department lawyers echoed Trump’s contention ​that the project is a security necessity, citing assassination attempts against the president and other recent threats.

“This case involves an extraordinary and unlawful injunction that ​will halt the ongoing construction of the integrated military complex, including a totally secure ballroom space, at the East Wing of the ⁠White House, which is vitally required by national security,” they wrote.

The nonprofit National Trust for Historic Preservation sued last year after the administration tore down, opens new tab the White House East ​Wing and began building a 90,000-square-foot (8,360-square-meter) ballroom without seeking specific approval from Congress. Trump has said the ballroom will be “the greatest of its kind ever built.”

After the Supreme Court ​acted on Friday, a spokesperson for the National Trust for Historic Preservation said, “To be clear, this is not a final decision on the merits of the government’s stay application, and we await further action.”

The project combines the above-ground ballroom with an extensive underground complex. Trump has said the project includes bomb shelters, medical facilities, shielding from drones and missiles and other security features that are “all tied ​together as one big, expensive and very complex unit.”

On August 7, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit in a 2-1 ruling upheld U.S. District ​Judge Richard Leon’s order directing the administration to halt above-ground construction. The order had been set to take effect on Friday.

‘A TEMPORARY TENANT’

“Each President is a temporary tenant, not the owner, of ‌the White ⁠House,” and cannot fundamentally reshape it without congressional approval, the D.C. Circuit’s ruling stated.

The district judge’s order did not permanently bar construction of a ballroom. It blocked above-ground efforts while allowing below-ground construction to continue, as well as work deemed “strictly necessary” for the safety and security of the White House. In its ruling, the D.C. Circuit said national security arguments “are not an automatic get-out-of-law-free card.”

The Justice Department said in its August 14 filing that the overall East Wing project — including both the underground facilities and the above-ground ​ballroom — is 65% complete.

Trump has said the ​ballroom project is a security necessity, ⁠and has referred to the structure as a “military center” in a post on Truth Social. Trump called the D.C. Circuit’s decision “horrendous” and politically motivated, and said it left him, other White House officials and visitors exposed to attack.

“This unjust decision must be overturned by ​the Supreme Court in its entirety,” Trump wrote.

The National Trust for Historic Preservation in court papers urged the justices to ​turn away the administration’s ⁠bid to continue with ballroom construction while litigation proceeds.

“Each court to examine the question has agreed that (the Trump administration has) no unilateral legal authority — constitutional, statutory or otherwise — to build a massive ballroom on the site of the now-demolished East Wing,” lawyers for the group wrote.

“And each court has told (the administration) in no uncertain terms that they must stop their illegal ⁠construction unless ​and until they receive express approval from Congress,” it wrote.

The project is part of Trump’s broader efforts ​to reshape the Washington landscape, including plans to build a 250-foot (76-meter) arch and revamp the Kennedy Center, a cultural landmark and performance center.

The demolished East Wing housed the first lady’s offices and the White House movie theater. ​It was originally built in 1902 during Theodore Roosevelt’s presidency and greatly expanded in 1942 during Franklin Roosevelt’s presidency.

Reporting by John Kruzel; Editing by Will Dunham and Lisa Shumaker

评论

发表回复

您的邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用 * 标注

湘ICP备2026001899号-2