美国广播公司指控特朗普政府的联邦通信委员会施压迫使调整节目内容


2026-08-19 17:36:08 GMT / 路透社

8月19日(路透社)——美国广播公司(ABC)指控美国总统唐纳德·特朗普政府动用施压手段,迫使该电视网络做出节目妥协,例如避免邀请政治候选人参加其热门日间脱口秀节目《观点》,因担心遭到报复。

该电视网及其母公司迪士尼(股票代码:DIS.N)于周二起诉美国联邦通信委员会(FCC),试图阻止该机构对八家迪士尼旗下地方电视台的广播执照进行不同寻常的提前审查。他们辩称,政府正非法寻求惩罚该电视网的广播内容,并迫使调整其节目编排。

订阅《每日案卷》新闻简报,最新法律资讯直达您的收件箱,开启您的晨间资讯之旅。点击此处注册

在路透社的采访中,FCC主席布伦丹·卡尔否认该机构侵犯了迪士尼的言论自由权,也否认其回应了特朗普对特定内容的不满。

这场法律纠纷凸显了特朗普及其政府与媒体之间紧张不稳定的关系。自2024年以来,特朗普多次呼吁FCC吊销ABC旗下电视台的执照,最近一次是在该网络上月拒绝播出他关于选举安全的黄金时段演讲之后。

迪士尼和ABC表示,FCC在执照审查过程中提出的要求,以及特朗普的公开威胁,已经让该电视网的编辑决策陷入自我审查。

根据诉状,FCC对ABC发动了“报复性运动”,因为这位共和党总统除其他不满外,还反对ABC的新闻报道,并对其深夜节目主持人吉米·坎摩尔的出镜评论表示反对。

“我们的职责是让广播公司符合公众利益标准,”卡尔告诉路透社,他提到政府长期以来允许电视台免费使用电波,以换取提供符合公众利益的节目。“你们和美国人民达成了协议。要履行你们的协议。”

“总统当然有权就这些问题表达自己的观点,”卡尔说道,并补充称任何决定都将“基于事实、法律和记录”。

特朗普于2017年首次担任总统期间任命卡尔进入FCC,并于去年任命他为主席。

“恐吓政策”

“令人悲哀的事实是,这种恐吓政策已经在一定程度上奏效了,迫使媒体机构和其他组织畏缩不前,不敢按照第一修正案赋予的权利正常行事,”南加州大学安南伯格传播与新闻学院的新闻学教授加布里埃尔·卡恩说道。

美国宪法第一修正案禁止政府剥夺言论自由。

“政府攻击了ABC的言论——包括其记者报道的新闻和电视网播出的观点,”诉状中写道。

成立于1934年的FCC负责向地方电视台发放执照,通常每八年需要续期一次。这八家迪士尼旗下电视台的执照原本要到2028年至2031年才到期,其中包括其在纽约、洛杉矶、芝加哥和休斯顿等城市的部分盈利最高的电视台。

半个世纪以来,FCC从未对这类电视台进行过此类提前执照审查。FCC已提出600项信息查询要求,收集了1.3万页文件,并索要员工的政治捐款数据。

严重后果

FCC的执照审查意味着该电视网无法承受“任何可能激怒政府或FCC主席的决策所带来的后果”,诉状中写道。

例如,ABC决定不转播特朗普7月16日的演讲,在演讲中他再次长期抨击美国选举安全。多年来,特朗普一直谎称美国存在广泛的投票欺诈,包括在2020年大选中输给民主党人乔·拜登一事。

ABC选择在其流媒体服务上直播该演讲——该公司表示这通常不会这么做,因为它“考虑到了不进行直播直播可能招致政府报复的风险”。美国全国广播公司(NBC)也没有直播特朗普的演讲。此后,特朗普呼吁吊销这两家电视台的执照。

《观点》节目嘉宾

《观点》是一档由固定女性嘉宾组成的脱口秀节目,讨论时事和娱乐话题,并邀请受访嘉宾。根据诉状,该节目自2月以来就没有邀请过政治候选人,当时在得克萨斯州竞选美国参议院席位的民主党人詹姆斯·塔拉里科曾作为嘉宾亮相。

“从历史上看,邀请哪些候选人或公众人物作为嘉宾的决定仅基于新闻价值、观众兴趣和日程安排,”诉状中写道。

诉状称,鉴于FCC的审查,“ABC现在必须评估邀请政治嘉宾可能带来的后果”。

特朗普本人过去曾多次作为嘉宾登上《观点》节目。特朗普的副手JD·万斯于6月作为嘉宾亮相,不过当时他并非公职候选人。

塔拉里科的亮相引发了FCC的调查,调查其是否违反了联邦“同等时间”规则,该规则要求广播公司为所有合格候选人提供相同的出镜机会。拜登政府时期的FCC在2022年曾将《观点》列为“真正的”新闻节目,豁免其遵守该规则。

FCC要求迪士尼在休斯顿的旗下电视台提供其节目制作人、执行制片人、出镜主持人和预订团队之间关于塔拉里科亮相的所有通信记录。FCC还要求ABC披露其联合主持人和个别员工的政治捐款性质,包括追溯四年的分项清单。

因此,该电视网在邀请政治候选人作为《观点》节目嘉宾,甚至播出可能构成亮相的视频片段方面变得“更加谨慎”,诉状中写道。

安南伯格学院的卡恩表示,这起诉讼凸显了特朗普政府下的联邦机构如何被“用作武器,对付被视为敌人的对象”。

“像迪士尼这样的公司唯一的选择就是在法院进行漫长且代价高昂的诉讼。这些机构并非善意行事的主体,”卡恩说道。

道恩·奇米列夫斯基和大卫·谢泼德森报道;埃德·李和威尔·邓汉姆编辑

我们的准则:路透社信托原则。

ABC says intimidation by Trump’s FCC forced programming changes

2026-08-19 17:36:08 GMT / Reuters

Aug 19 (Reuters) – ABC is accusing U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration of employing pressure tactics that have forced the television network to make programming compromises such as refraining from booking political candidates on its popular daytime talk show, “The View,” for fear of retaliation.

The network and its parent ​company Disney

DIS.N sued the Federal Communications Commission on Tuesday in an effort to block the agency’s unusual early review of broadcast licenses for eight Disney-owned local TV stations. They argue that the administration is ‌unlawfully seeking to punish the network over its broadcast content and force changes in its programming.

Jumpstart your morning with the latest legal news delivered straight to your inbox from The Daily Docket newsletter. Sign up here.

In a Reuters interview, FCC Chair Brendan Carr denied that the agency was infringing on Disney’s free speech rights or responding to Trump’s dislike of specific content.

The legal fight highlights the volatile relationship that Trump and his administration have had with the media. Trump has repeatedly since 2024 called for the FCC to revoke the licenses of ABC stations, most recently after the network declined last month to air a prime-time address he gave on election security.

Disney and ABC said that demands ​made by the FCC during the license review process and Trump’s public threats already have chilled the network’s editorial decision-making.

The FCC, according to the lawsuit, has “waged a retaliatory campaign” against ABC because the Republican president, among other ​grievances, disapproves of its news coverage and objects to on-air comments by its late-night host, Jimmy Kimmel.

“Our job is to hold broadcasters accountable to the public interest standard,” Carr told ⁠Reuters, citing how the government long has granted stations free use of the airwaves in exchange for providing programming in the public interest. “You made a deal with the American people. You know, live up to your end of the deal.”

“The president ​has obviously every right to express his view on these matters,” Carr said, adding that any decision will be “based on the facts and the law and the record.”

Trump appointed Carr to the FCC in 2017 during his first term as president, and ​designated him as chair last year.

‘POLICY OF INTIMIDATION’

“The sad fact is that this policy of intimidation has already worked, to a certain extent, by forcing media organizations and others to cower and keep their heads down, rather than act as they normally would in accordance with their First Amendment rights,” said journalism professor Gabriel Kahn of the University of Southern California’s Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism.

The U.S. Constitution’s First Amendment protects against government abridgment of free speech.

“The Administration has attacked ABC’s speech — the stories its journalists report and the viewpoints its network programs ​air,” the lawsuit stated.

The FCC, created by Congress in 1934, issues licenses to local broadcast television stations, typically requiring renewal after a period of eight years. The licenses for the eight Disney-owned stations — including some of its most profitable ones in ​cities including New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and Houston — were not due to expire until 2028 to 2031.

The FCC had not conducted early license reviews like the one involving these stations in a half century. The FCC has made 600 requests for information, yielding ‌13,000 pages of ⁠documents, and sought data on political donations made by staff.

DIRE CONSEQUENCES

The FCC’s license review means the network cannot afford to “ignore the consequences of any decision that might anger the Administration or the FCC Chairman,” the lawsuit stated.

For example, ABC decided not to broadcast Trump’s July 16 speech in which he revived his long-running attacks on U.S. election security. Trump for years has made false claims of widespread U.S. voting fraud including in his 2020 election loss to Democrat Joe Biden.

ABC instead opted to carry the speech live on its streaming service — something it said it ordinarily would not have done — as it “considered the risk of resulting Administration retaliation” over its decision not to broadcast it live. NBC also did not broadcast Trump’s speech live. Afterward, Trump called ​for both networks to lose their licenses.

GUESTS ON ‘THE VIEW’

“The View,” a ​show involving a regular panel of women discussing current ⁠events and entertainment along with guest interviewees, has not featured a political candidate since February, when James Talarico, a Democrat running for the U.S. Senate in Texas,

appeared, according to the lawsuit.

“Historically, decisions about which candidates or public figures to invite as guests were made based on newsworthiness, audience interest, and scheduling alone,” the lawsuit stated.

The lawsuit said that in light of the ​FCC scrutiny “ABC must now evaluate any invitation to a political candidate for its potential consequences.”

Trump himself has appeared multiple times as a guest on “The View” in the past. Trump’s ​vice president, JD Vance, appeared as ⁠a guest in June, though he was not a candidate for office at the time.

Talarico’s appearance triggered an FCC inquiry into whether it violated federal “equal-time” rules that require broadcasters to provide the same opportunity to all qualified candidates. The FCC during the Biden administration in 2022 had exempted “The View” from the rule, deeming it a “bona fide” news program.

The FCC asked the Disney-owned station in Houston to produce all communications between its segment producers, the executive producer, its on-air hosts and the booking staff, about Talarico’s appearance. The FCC ⁠also asked ABC ​to disclose the nature of any political donations made by its co-hosts and individual employees, including an itemized list going back four years.

As a ​result, the network has become “more circumspect” about booking political candidates as guests on “The View” or even broadcasting video clips that could constitute appearances, the lawsuit stated.

The Annenberg School’s Kahn said the lawsuit illustrates how federal agencies under the Trump administration have been “weaponized to go after perceived enemies.”

“The only course that companies ​like Disney have is to engage in lengthy and costly litigation in the courts. These are not good-faith actors,” Kahn said.

Reporting by Dawn Chmielewski and David Shepardson; Editing by Ed Lee and Will Dunham

Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

评论

发表回复

您的邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用 * 标注

湘ICP备2026001899号-2